- Airway, Malocclusion, and Interceptive Orthodontic Treatment
- Phase I Arch Development – Part I: Expanders vs. Braces
- Phase I Arch Development – Part II: Diagnosis & Treatment Planning
SUMMARY OF COURSE CONTENT
This 4.5 hour CE course* will review the process of placing braces on pre-adolescent patients in the early-mid mixed dentition, including:
- The literature regarding the concept of placing braces on primary teeth to assist with “developing the arches” as part of interceptive orthodontic treatment.
- The effect that placing braces on deciduous teeth has on both the primary tooth and its permanent successor.
- Effective behavior modification techniques to reliably and comfortably place full braces on 7–9-year-old patients.
- The types of braces, bracket prescriptions, and wires that can be used to successfully and predictably develop the arches during interceptive treatment.
- Bonding techniques to improve clinical efficacy, maximize bond strength, minimize bond failure, and greatly decrease the risk of enamel decalcification.
- The importance of dis-occluding the arches at the initial bonding visit, including strategies for determining the size and location of bite ramps and turbos based upon the presenting malocclusion and treatment objectives.
- Patient/parent testimonials discussing their experiences with full braces in Phase I will be provided.
*DOC is a Certified CE Provider in the State of Florida
The primary educational objectives of this course are to:
- Review the literature as it pertains to the orthodontic movement of primary teeth as a means of developing the arches, creating space for the eruption of the permanent teeth, and lessening the severity of the developing malocclusion.
- Provide guidance in the following areas to maximize success when placing full braces on pre-adolescent patients in the early mixed dentition as part of interceptive orthodontic treatment:
- Patient management
- Materials to use to maximize bond strength and minimize formation of white-spot lesions
- Bracket placement technique to maximize adaptation of brackets to primary teeth
- Placement of bite ramps/turbos to dis-occlude the arches
- Home care instructions
- Review the types of braces (including prescriptions) and archwires that are most efficient and effective at developing the arches in the mixed dentition.
- Discuss “tips and tricks” to help troubleshoot the most commonly encountered challenges.
GENERAL COURSE INFORMATION
- Course Cost: $445
- CE Hours: 4.5
- Original Release Date: February 27, 2023
- Expiration Date: February 27, 2025
- Refund/Cancellation Policy: No refunds – all course purchases are final.
- Teaching Methods: Electronically Mediated Online Course
Michael K. DeLuke, DDS, MDS
Board Certified Orthodontist
President, DeLuke Orthodontics
Owner, DeLuke Orthodontic Coaching
CONFLICTS OF INTEREST
DeLuke Orthodontic Coaching is a for-profit dental CE Provider
COURSE OUTLINE [Total Time: 4:26:23]
- Background [00:25:52]
- Overview of the Bonding Process [00:08:10]
- Greeting & Preparing the Patient [00:18:42]
- Tooth Prep & Bracket Placement [00:32:49]
- Bonding Bite Ramps & Turbos [1:06:23]
- Additional Tips & Tricks [1:05:19]
- Archwires & Elastics [00:23:56]
- Home Care Instructions [00:20:12]